Eugene Dyczkowski, a second generation American,
was a graduate of Buffalo's Albright Art School. Well-respected as a
disciplined artist, he exhibited paintings at the 1929 World's Fair
in Warsaw. President of the Buffalo Society of Artists in the period
1936 - 1939.
In 1945, he became the founding President of the
Polish Arts Club of Buffalo and, in 1948, the first President of the
American Council of Polish Cultural Clubs. Born in Philadelphia in
1899, he died in 1987.
The Fort Niagara Panel is particularly notable. The
two figures portrayed represent soldiers of the 28th Regiment which
was stationed at Fort Niagara. They clearly stand in the interior of
the old Fort Niagara with the South Redoubt visible in the
background. Those knowledgeable about weapons will note that the
soldier on the right carries a Model 1903 Springfield bolt action
rifle while the soldier on the left holds a brand new weapon, the
M-1 Garand semi-automatic rifle. The M-1 Garand had only entered
into mass production in 1937, two years previous to the painting.
Fort Niagara's 1000 yard firing range was renowned and much used by
many units of the U.S. Army and the M-1 rifle's presence at Fort
Niagara has been independently confirmed. Its use in World War II
gave American soldiers a decided advantage in firepower.