A Polish Academic Information Center Exhibit         
The City of Poznań - The legendary cradle of Poland


Ratusz (Town Hall)

The Renaissance Town Hall was used as the City's administration building till 1939. It is the finest example of a seat of urban government in Poland. The gothic town hall that preceded it on this site burnt down in 1536 and was replaced by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Quadro with the present structure. Three loggias decorate the front of the building and are surmounted by three small towers with intervening attica. The central small tower is equipped with a clock and above it with doors from which at the noon hour emerge two rams, symbols of Poznań, that battle each other. Below the clock can be seen the royal monogram. To the side of are portraits of the Kings of the Jagiellonian dynasty. The tower is a later addition, the original one having collapsed in

Inside on the first floor is the Renaissance Hall, richly decorated with astral, grotesques, plant and fantastic themes. The Ratusz burnt down during WWII as the result of military operations and was rebuilt thereafter. Today it is the location of Poznań's Historical Museum

Market Square
The Market Square = birds eye view
The facade of the Ratusz -see below for close-up

Renaissance Hall
The Renaissance Hall dating from 1555

Ratusz detail
Details of the facade

Back to main Poznań page

Note: Each visual on this page is linked to the original Polish website posting it. This information may include copyrighted material and is to be used for educational and research purposes only.


Info-Poland a clearinghouse of information about Poland, Polish Universities, Polish Studies, etc.
© 2000 Polish Academic Information Center, University at Buffalo. All rights reserved.
Info-Poland   |    art and culture   |    history   |    universities   |    studies   |    scholars   |    classroom   |    book chapters   |    sitemaps   |    users' comments